Hello from Spain! I was suppose to be back in the UK from our two week Easter Vacation on Friday, but I’m currently stranded in Spain because of the volcano in Iceland! Who knew it would cause this big of an issue! My friend and I are staying in Girona, Spain hoping that we will be allowed to fly out on Thursday! We’re trying to keep positive and it’s been a great way to meet people that I never would have met otherwise! Overall, Easter vacation has been amazing!

The first week I spent in Rome. I arrived on Easter Sunday, just in time to get blessed by the Pope in St. Peter’s Square. It was pouring rain out, but a once in a lifetime experience. My friends and I went to the catacombes on Monday and got to see some of the Italian countryside. It is absolutely beautiful. I had another group of friends meet up with me on Wednesday and we did all of the touristy sites. The Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and too many piazzas to remember! Apparently, it is not legal for peddlers to sell sunglasses and things outside on the street, so my friends and I spent an afternoon just laying in the grass outside the Colosseum watching the policia run the peddlers off the street.

After Rome, we flew to Barcelona for a few days. We arrived at night, so figuring out the Metro system before it closed was an experience. Our hostel was in a great location, but was my first experience with a questionable hostel. Word to the wise, ALWAYS check the ratings on HostelBookers and be wary if it is below 70%. I spent Sunday at the beach in Barcelona and could not have been happier! The ocean was cold, but soaking up the sun with great friends was fantastic. Monday was spent sightseeing through Park Guell and the Gothic area. I had my first tapas and chicken and rice and discovered what I did and didn’t like with Spanish food.

Tuesday, we flew to Ibiza, an island off the coast of Spain. It was the offseason for tourists, so it was a nice quiet place to relax. Ibiza was my first experience with a small Spanish town, so it was my first encounter with siesta. You have to get everything you need before 2pm or after 5pm because everyone takes a few hours off in the middle of the day. Spain seems much more laid back than the rest of the world. Our passports weren’t even checked at the airports! We explored the island and went to a Hippie Market. On Wednesdays, the hippies on the island set up stands and sell their goods. We got some very cheap bracelets and had a great time. Spent a bit of time on the beach then we heard about the volcano.

Now, my friend and I are in Girona, waiting for our rebooked flight on Thursday that we are hoping won’t get cancelled. If that is cancelled, we will start looking into buses (which will take 2-3 days), trains, or a ferry. There is word they are sending the Royal Navy, so maybe we can catch that! Who knows? For now, we’re just exploring Spain and taking it one day at a time. Adios!