Top Five Things I Miss about America

I must start by saying, my obvious first big miss is family and friends. I do not miss them in a sad way like I wish I were back home, but in a grateful way. Sometimes you need space and time away from people to realize how much they really mean to you. It is a wonderful feeling to know there are people in this world who love you and miss you as much as you do them.

That being said…

1. Prices
2. Shopping
3. OU
4. Going to the Movies/Out to Dinner
5. Ability to do Whatever I Want (?)

Prices
Things are so cheap in America. We really take for granted the prices we have. Did you know the concept of free refills is purely an American concept. You will pay over 2 US dollars for every small drink you drink. So gulp big Americans! That is a privilege, but maybe gulp diet we are still definitely the fat ones ;)Also, gas prices, never will I complain again.

Shopping
Highly correlated to prices, I didn’t even know if it deserved it’s own category but I decided it did because also in relation to shopping is transportation. Man, it is hard to carry a package of water on a bike. Initially though the category was created for clothing and accessory shopping… of course 🙂 Favorite stores I miss have got to be Ross and TJMAxx. Yes, I am one cheap shopper.

University of Oklahoma
The challenge… I crave the challenge. There are many difficult things in the Neths but school is not one of them. In no way do I mean to seem pompous or rude, school at OU and Price is just structured very differently and God knows I love an academic competition. On top of just the academics is the atmosphere. Here there is no college campus, there is just one building with all the classrooms. I like the feeling of walking around the campus from building to building bustling about all the backpacks. Even just sitting in the big couches at the Union or Price, feeling totally at home among your fellows with glowing laptop screens.

Dinner and Movies
A traditional American weekend event I believe. It was something I did not think I would really miss but I do. It is much cheaper to do this in America and for some reason it just feels different, like more of an event. Since it can be up to $16.50 USD to see a movie here it sure should feel like an event but it doesn’t. By the way that is what it cost to go see Alice in Wonderland in 3D. So yes, when I get back lets go to Alfredo’s get some good cheap Mexican food then off to Warren!

Control/Ability
I wasn’t sure how to title this but I put it under control or ability. What I am trying to say is, in Oklahoma if I want to do something I know how I can do it or find out how to do it. Here there are so many unknowns. It is exciting, don’t get me wrong, but it can be frustrating at times when you feel lost. I’m not the kind of person that really likes to be helped or ask for help so there can be a definite struggle with that sometimes.

Don’t worry Europeans, look forward to Flop Five… top five things I like better here than in America.