A review of Saturday, June 19, 2010

Today was our free day in Cuzco!

We visited the Saturday arts and crafts market in San Blas Plaza. I bought many precious handmade goodies including hair accessories, Delta-shaped earrings, Alpaca fur socks, a ceramic nativity scene, magnets and a leather photo album--just helping the Andeans. :)

We visited the Saturday arts and crafts market in San Blas Plaza. I bought many precious handmade goodies including hair accessories, Delta-shaped earrings, Alpaca fur socks, a ceramic nativity scene, magnets and a leather photo album--just helping the Andeans. 🙂

After mass, we went to a native cultural show with traditional dancing and singing in Quechua. The women sing in very high voices. Each performance included different dances and costumes from various areas of Peru.

After Mass, we went to a native cultural show with traditional dancing and singing in Quechua. The women sing in very high voices. Each performance included different dances and costumes from various areas of Peru.

During intermission, we looked at traditional clothing from the different Peruvian regions.

After the native show, we power walked through the mass of people to the Plaza de Armas for tonight's big celebration in preparation for one of Peru's biggest festivals, Inti Raymi, the Incas' honor of the Sun God. There was a live concert, fireworks and all kinds of food like a giant carnival or fair. I've never seen so many people in one place. What a great last night in Cuzco!

The official flag of Cuzco consists of the colors of the rainbow because it’s the Inca flag. The mayor requires all businesses to have the flag displayed. Our tour guide from yesterday, Jimmy, said many tourists are confused and think Cuzco is a gay community until they find out its origin from the Inca Empire. Isn’t it interesting how institutions differ in how they look at the same things?

We visited the Saturday arts and crafts market in San Blas Plaza. I bought many precious handmade goodies including hair accessories, Delta-shaped earrings, Alpaca fur socks, a ceramic nativity scene, magnets and a leather photo album–just helping the Andeans. 🙂

We spent about two hours at the market, and returned to the hotel in time for lunch. We had lomo saltado, my favorite Peruvian dish.

We collected money from the group to give Rafael and Saúl for tips. I’m giving Rafael and his wife OU hats, and I’m giving Saúl an OU clock. There are few things better than spreading the Sooner spirit!

Dr. Kenney and his wife, Señora Marchand, Lori, Carlee, Jane and I went to Mass at the Jesuit Church in the Plaza de Armas. It’s beautiful! The precious priest was old and physically fragile–I wanted to give him a hug! I smiled at him when I went up for communion, and he gave me the biggest grin (the first smile I saw from him that night) then patted my face. Thank you, Jesus, for reminding me that a smile goes a long way! God is Good.

After Mass, we went to a native cultural show with traditional dancing and singing in Quechua. The women sing in very high voices–I feel like I could be a star in these shows with my voice. Each performance included different dances and costumes from various areas of Peru. During intermission, we looked at traditional clothing from the different Peruvian regions.

After the native show, we power walked through the mass of people to the Plaza de Armas for tonight’s big celebration in preparation of one of Peru’s biggest festivals, Inti Raymi, the Incas’ honor of the Sun God. There was a live concert, fireworks and all kinds of food like a giant carnival or fair. I’ve never seen so many people in one place. What a great last night in Cuzco!

I found candy like M&Ms called Chin Chin. I’m pretty much famous here, but the makers just forgot the “H” like many do when they write my name.

I had gelato, starfruit flavored, for what may be the last time in Peru at a place down the street from our hotel called Dolce Vita.

I can’t believe we leave for the Amazon in the morning. Bye Cuzco, electricity, Internet, hot water and civilization; hello jungle, crocodiles, pumas, mosquito nets and NATURE!