So I’ve decided I need to start posting twice a week.  So much has happened this week that I am sure I will neglect something. 

The week started quite splendidly with an incredible jazz concert.  If you are a jazz fan, check out Igor Butman.  He is a saxophone player who is revered in Russia, and for good reason.  Three+ hours of inspiring improvisation was not nearly enough. 

Spoiler Alert:  Butman has asked me to sing with him in Moscow in the coming months. I am stoked!

Tuesday’s concert was contrasted by an interesting rendition of the classic Russian fairy-tale, Snegurochka.  While the performers were quite talented, I must admit I was not a huge fan of the director’s interpretation of the show.  All the same, the spectacle was enjoyable and the venue was the breathtaking Mariinsky Theatre, so no complaints.  Hands down the most enjoyable part of the evening was reconnecting with my friend Anastasia, a former OU exchange student from Siberia.  In true Russian fashion, she made sure my every wish was met, providing the tickets, the transportation, the snacks and the explanation for the evening’s entertainment. 

Already at a loss for how to repay such kindness, Stasia then extended me an invitation to the country side “to experience the way Russians enjoy winter”.  Of course, within minutes of donning my cross country skis I made a class fool of myself by falling on my bum.  Yet an hour and a half and a bruised tail-bone later, we we decided we simply could not waste the opportunity to tube down the mountain (and by we I mean Stasia and by mountain, I mean mountain).  Needless to say, I had a BLAST.  And when we finally returned, snow-covered and exhausted to her father-in-law’s warm car, we were greeted by a delicious hot tea and traditional Russian snacks.  All in all, it was quite an incredible day.  I must say though, I am finding it harder and harder to figure out just how to repay the generous (and sometimes overwhelming) hospitality of my Russian friends.  Hopefully this will soon be resolved