Ed Kelley named interim dean of Gaylord College

Ed Kelley, Interim DeanAward-winning newspaper editor and reporter Ed Kelley, who has been serving as Director of Experiential Learning for the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Oklahoma, has been named interim Dean, pending approval of the OU Board of Regents.

An OU journalism alumnus, Kelley will address – on an interim basis – the responsibilities of the position previously held by Joe Foote, who resigned his administrative post to rejoin the college’s faculty after a decade as the college’s leader. The permanent successor to Foote will be named after an appropriate selection process.

“The University is extremely fortunate that Ed Kelley is willing to return to his alma mater to serve as Dean of Journalism and Mass Communications,” said OU President David L. Boren. “An outstanding journalist, Kelley has for years demonstrated his care and concern for the College and its students. Like Joe Foote, he will be a student-oriented Dean.”
As Director of Experiential Learning, Kelley has been working with students, faculty and employers to increase internship opportunities for students. It was a summer internship with The Oklahoman that launched Kelley’s 36-year career with the paper. Over the years, he held a variety of positions, including state roving reporter, city editor and business editor. For four years in the mid-1980s, he served as the paper’s Washington bureau chief. He returned to Oklahoma City in 1990 to be managing editor. In 2002, he became editorial page editor. In 2003, Kelley succeeded Edward L. Gaylord as editor of The Oklahoman and served in that role until 2011.

“I’m honored to have been asked to serve in this position at my alma mater,” Kelley said. “It’s an exciting time in journalism, and the faculty and staff at Gaylord College are working hard to ensure students have the skills needed to succeed as professionals upon graduation,” he said.

Kelley returned to OU from Salt Lake City, where he was senior contributing editor at The Deseret News. He also has served as editor of The Washington Times.

A recipient of numerous journalism awards, Kelley was named national Editor of the Year in 1996 by the Washington-based National Press Foundation for directing The Oklahoman’s coverage of the Oklahoma City bombing. He served as a juror to the Pulitzer Prizes in 1998 and is a member of the National Press Club and the American Society of News Editors. Kelley was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame in 2003.

Kelley earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from OU, graduating Phi Beta Kappa.

4 comments

1. Gloria G. Brown, Managing Editor, Perry Daily Journal

I would like permission to publish the story of Ed Kelley and his picture in his hometown newspaper, the Perry Daily Journal. He graduated from Perry High School and got his start at the PDJ and was name to the high school’s honor roll.
    Thank you in advance for your consideration. Phillip Reid, our publisher, would probably also like to publish it in the Weatherford Daily News.

2. Mauro Yanez

It was with great pleasure that I learned of your new position at the Gaylord College. I believe you are ready for such a challenge. You have the skills and experience necessary, and will make a terrific Team Leader!

Mauro Yanez
    Master of Journalism and Mass Communication
    The University of Oklahoma
    The Gaylord College
    Promotion 2010

3. Marwah Ansar chauhdry

hello sir…

I am a working journalist for the last ten years and had vibrant experience in anchoring current affairs programme, social issues besides covering political and culture beats.
    I had been covering political beats for five years in state run Pakistan Television and later joined private media house Dunya News for the last five years. I came to know about the exchange program. I am also interested and wanted to further improve my knowledge and skill in electronic media through this program.
    I had never been a part of any program in the past nor applied. This is my first application to you. Whom should I contact and whom should I send my CV and relevant documents.
    I had been from a journalistic family as my father is president Lahore Press Club Photojournalists Association for the last 14 years. My husband is associated with APP (Associated Press of Pakistan) and my brother is also a full time journalist and working as senior reporter Din News, a private electronic channel.
    Besides this, I am senior member of executive body of Lahore Press Club 2015 and president of Showbiz Reporters Organization of Lahore. I had recently been to Sri Lanka for Pakistan and Sri Lanka cricket matches. I had been to UAE for exhibition by several top designers of Lahore.

Please send me the relevant information.

Marwah Ansar Chaudhry
    Senior Reporter
    Dunya News,
    Lahore.

Postal Address Office: Dunya News Network, 8-A Abbot Road, Lahore.
    Ph Off: 92-042-3256-0332….Fax: 92-042-3636-7404.
    Postal Address Home: 21/6-A Davis Road, Agriculture Street, Lahore.
    Cell: 0344 4440319. 0333-4647777.

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>