Four-hundred-twenty miles away, I made the decision my senior year to leave the comfy suburbs of Cypress, Texas for Oklahoma. It wasn’t made lightly, but as soon as I fell in love with the campus and Norman, I knew it was the right choice. Most of my friends stayed within their comfort zone and went to other schools (one might include the color orange) in Texas that made it easy to go home whenever they pleased. The realization didn’t hit me that I wouldn’t be able to do the same until I sat in my dorm room on a grueling, hot August day and my parents were saying, ”See you in six weeks.”

I’m the type of person who likes to be surrounded by people the majority of the time and be involved in organizations that ultimately help people. I wasted no time being homesick and went straight forward in the process to getting what I desired. Joining my sorority was the first step and to this day, I believe it was one of the best choices I’ve ever made in my college career. The second best choice I made was joining Class Council. These people are friends that I get to see every Monday and talk about how the past week has gone while planning events to make the best school in the entire world better. I met my “twin”, who has become one of my greatest friends. I met my sorority little, which created our bond and made us big/little. None of this would have happened if I hadn’t decided on that grueling, hot day in August while in my dorm, to not let the fact that I was far from home keep me from being the best version of myself.

As the year continues, I advise everyone to get out there and find the organization that makes them feel like they’re at home and the people that make it worth their while.

Boomer!

Kelly Davis