Hello there, future Sooners! I’m Tiffany, a Visual Communication junior from Edmond, Oklahoma. You’re soon going to learn that I am a list person, through and through. So in the way of introductions, I’m going to give you a list of the top three basic things to know about me.

1) Visual Communication–what is that? It is NOT Business Communication, which is a common mixup. Visual Communication, in its simplest form, involves methods of communicating through the visual arts. Makes sense, right? This is what many people would consider Graphic Design, but this degree program involves more than just printed communication. We also study web design and we do some 3-dimensional work. As a matter of fact, the project I’m working on right now involves eight 5″ x 5″ cubes that we rearrange and hinge together to form a new shape and to communicate movement. I’m sure I’ll post pictures of some of the projects I complete as I go, and with a new project just about every week, it won’t take long for you to see plenty of examples. 🙂

2) For those of you that aren’t familiar with Oklahoma geography, Edmond is just a quick hop and a skip away. It’s about 30 to 45 minutes north of here, and for me, Norman is just the perfect distance from home sweet home. I love being able to see my family as often as I want to, but also getting involved in a new city and a new environment. I’ve always loved living in Edmond, but Norman has quickly earned a spot in my heart too. It’s my new home, and I could imagine myself living here well beyond graduation. The city is always buzzing with energy and excitement and there’s always something to do. There are a lot of locally owned stores and family businesses, and the shopping here is fantastic, let me tell you.

3) My campus involvement… well, this year I am involved with Recruitment Services as a design intern, so all those pretty postcards you guys get? You’re welcome. 🙂 Those come from the department I intern with, and a few of them are done specifically by me. I also work for Housing and Food as a Prospective Student Guide, which means that when people who are considering attending the University (like you!) want to visit campus and stay overnight in the residence halls, I am one of the four people who can host them. This is one of the most rewarding positions I’ve ever held. I love showing people what OU has to offer, and helping them make one of the most important decisions they will ever make.

And for now I’ll spare you the ten page essay on what I’ve done in the week that classes have been back in session. I’m sure this is more than enough information for you to take in at one time!

For now, it’s homework time. 🙂

Tiffany

One Response to “Just the Basics”

1. Pam Haendel on November 3rd, 2010 11:52 pm

It’s always so nice to have your college daughter return home & see them for the weekend. Uplifting for their siblings & for the parents too! Nice to visit them in their new environment every once in awhile too.