Every Spring, over 5,000 students disperse across the Norman-OKC metro to serve our community and make an immediate and widespread difference. This day of community service at OU is called the Big Event, and this year marked the 13th OU Big Event!

The Big Event was originally scheduled to take place on April 14th, but was postponed due to the weekend’s severe weather. The Big Event team worked really hard to make sure the postponement went off without a hitch and thankfully, despite scheduling conflicts and time crunches, the day was a success.

I am involved with the Operations Staff of Big Event and my job has been to inspect the service jobsites months in advance to make sure they are safe for students and to evaluate their needs from our volunteers! As part of the staff, I was working ‘behind-the-scenes’ of Big Event and it was really rewarding to see all of our hard work come together. As an added bonus, some Ops Staffers got the opportunity to actually volunteer at a jobsite even though we normally stay on campus to run the event. My group went to a cemetery in Blanchard and helped cleaned up the grounds so that they could mow the lawn. Not only was it nice to see such a huge task completed for the cemetery staff, but it was also fun (in a strange way) to check out the different names and dates on the headstones. Above all, it was a blast to hang out with my friends while serving the community! Make sure you look out for information on the Big Event next year. You don’t want to miss out on such a BIG deal.