“What is your name?”
“What is your major?”
“Where are you from?”

I have heard these three questions hundreds of times in these first three weeks of school. It is one of my favorite things about my freshman year so far. Although the questions are repetitive, the people who ask the questions are always different. It amazes me how friendly the people are here. It took me a while to realize why everyone here is friendly, but I realized it is because of the Sooner Family. The Sooner Family is a concept that students and faculty at OU take seriously — we take care of each other.

When I first came to OU I thought that the Sooner Family was just some random nickname of OU students. I admit, I doubted that people would be friendly and care about someone they had never met. Turns out the second you are on campus, you become a member of the OU family.

My first experience of the Sooner Family was during Freshman Move-In. I had an early move-in so I was just wandering around when everyone else started to arrive. I did not expect to see so many current OU students and organizations helping the new Sooners move in to their dorms. How many strangers do you know would carry your belongings up ten flights of stairs in the heat? These Sooners where not asking for any compensation, they just wanted to help.

My most recent experience of the Sooner Family was the Help OUr Neighbor initiative from President David L. Boren. As a member of the President’s Community Scholars, we were asked to collect money around campus. The students at OU raised a total of over $2,400 for those in the Sooner Family impacted by the recent wildfires.

There are so many more examples that I could tell you about the Sooner Family, but there is not enough time. I invite you to come and experience it for yourself!

BOOMER SOONER!

Haley Maguire
Coppell, Texas
Class of 2016
Political Science major with a minor in International Studies

One Response to “The Sooner Family”

1. Michelle Taylor on October 1st, 2012 1:36 pm

You are right where you belong! You represent Faith Christian School well.
    You are still making us proud!

Blessings and hugs, sweet friend-

Mrs. Taylor