55515B7F-071E-4474-AC68-405A9058C9D5

Upon arriving at OU I exhibited all of the signs of a freshman walking onto campus for the first time. I had new clothes, a big smile, and of course, lofty aspirations as a Micro-Biology major. However, like a lot of young pre-med students, I found myself bounced out of the major by a formidable foe, Chemistry. After having, what I thought to be my perfect plan of becoming a doctor was cut short. I had to find another major. To set out on this mission, I decided to pick something I loved and to pick a minor that I was passionate about. After a period of soul searching, I set my eyes on a degree that I not only was passionate about, but a degree that could make a difference in the world.

The major I chose was International Studies, but more importantly a Non-Profit Organizational Studies minor. Not only was I welcomed into the program with open arms, but also I embraced the program right back. Not only was this new major going to involve something that I love, helping people, but it was also going to allow me to learn by experience. Immediately after the major change, I joined the NLSA, or Non-Profit Leadership Student Association and began to attend the meetings. I was wonderfully surprised by the community feel of the club/program, but also by the hands-on activities in which I could participate. In class I was “starting” a non-profit and learning the ins and outs of managing volunteers, etc., and at my club meetings I was engaging in volunteer activities, networking with local non-profit professionals, and learning valuable lessons from speakers from across the state.

Overall, I believe that my change in major was one of the best things that has happened to me since being at OU. I found a community that fit me better than my first choice, and I was embraced by not only the Non-Profit family at OU, but the Sooner family as a whole across campus. Coming to college, a lot of people end up switching majors and nearly having a panic attack at not knowing what the future may hold. But at OU, there are new opportunities around every corner, and new passions to grab a hold of everyday. Through the loss of my pre-med dream, a new passion was born. My new major and minor fit me as a person much better than my previous choice, and I could have only found my real passion through my experiences at OU.

Logan Banfield

Tulsa, Oklahoma

International Studies/Non-Profit Studies