Norman has been my home for the past four years, and it will continue to be for the next two. It’s a great city and the community is active in supporting our student body and the events/fundraisers we are constantly putting on. I have truly cherished the impact both OU and the Norman communities have had on me. What is even better is that every year in April I get to spend one Saturday, with the bulk of the student body, saying thank you to the amazing communities because of The Big Event.

The Big Event is OU’s official day of community service. Last year over 5,000 students signed up to volunteer to give back to the communities that have shaped us so much. The Big Event sends the students to organizations and non profits to help them with anything they need. It could be repainting the outside of a church to picking up trash along the parks in Norman. It is a special/unique opportunity to see how grateful the organization are that The Big Event has impacted.

I have played an active part in The Big Event since freshman year because of the chance it creates for me to say thank you to the community that had welcomed me in for these few years of my life. I do not believe anyone achieves anything without help; furthermore, being from a small town in Southwest Oklahoma, I know how impactful a community influence can be (even if others do not realize it themselves). It is important to be appreciative of the help and support we get in our lives, and it is more important to give back when the opportunities arrive. The Big Event is that opportunity for me to show thanks to the community that has shaped me these past four years. I am just as appreciative of The Big Event’s commitment to provide the opportunities to respond in gratitude as I am to the communities themselves!

Cameron Lohman

Duke, Oklahoma

Health and Exercise Science