First Game Day Experience

I was thrilled the day that I ordered my Oklahoma football tickets online! The Oklahoma game against Baylor was my first game ever! That’s right. My first game! As crazy as that may sound, I have never had the honor of being able to attend a game until now. I have been a fan since I was 12 years old. My father attended in the 1960’s, my brother, his wife and a few cousins attended in the 1980’s to early 90’s. Now, I have 2 daughters that proudly attend OU.

When the time came for me to attend my first game, my daughters wanted me to make it a special day. They are part of a great Co-ed community service oriented fraternity called, Alpha Phi Omega (APO). They are the team that carries the State of Oklahoma flag out on the football field. I was invited to assist in the flag presentation on the field and what an experience that was! I couldn’t stop beaming with pride.

Being on the field was an experience unlike any other. You hear the band playing, the crowd singing, people cheering and the electricity of the fan’s excitement was like no other! I got to meet some of the Ruf-Neks who’s history stems back for years. They were fantastic! I couldn’t get over that they lay upside down on the back of the schooner while the schooner makes it’s round after a point!

A kiss from Sooner!

A kiss from Sooner!

During the game, the students and my daughters taught me the chants, the cheers and all the fun traditions they have in the student section. I sat with APO and was behind the Pride of Oklahoma and they were wonderful! They played beautifully! After our victory, my daughters lead me to where I got to see the players and coaches head back into the locker rooms. I was like a little girl again, getting to meet her favorite actress for the first time. I stood nearby and got to high-five players that I looked up to for playing a great game and bringing OU another football victory!

I spent the weekend enjoying the restaurants and shops of Campus Corner.  I enjoyed a delicious lunch at Louies Bar and GrillI shopped around at the cute shops such as  Tulips Home and Gifts, The Apothem, Antique Garden and Balfour. My suitcase was filled with a plethora of Oklahoma souvenirs.  For dinner, I enjoyed the atmosphere of O’Connells Irish Pub and Grille.  The spirit of Oklahoma is everywhere! No matter where you go in Norman, you will see it. I’m already looking forward to my next visit.  What a great town! What a great University! Boomer Sooner!