Here are some quick tips for layout out content on your page.
Defining the importance of a page
• Pages have purpose, always go back to the purpose and ask if the page meets the purpose.
• Laying out copy in a hierarchical format.
• Use your grid to display content.
One great example of defining importance on a page is mint.com. You can see a clear purpose of mint’s home page, Sign up!
Keep It Simple
• Cut copy… then cut it again.
• Use scannable headlines.
• Short paragraphs with sub headings.
• Using graphics and images to support copy.
At ou.edu/webcomm we use colorful icons, short copy, titles and sub titles to make our content scannable.
• Copy size at least 12 points
• Good size difference between headlines (H) and copy
• Maximize contrast between font and background
Pure grips does a great job of typographic hierarchy and presenting a very readable page.