Writer’s Block

What do you do when you get writer’s block? Or maybe that should be more accurately described as “media producer’s block”. It’s hard to produce fresh, interesting content every day, especially if things are slow around campus!

Here are a few things that help me when I’m struggling to find something to share:

1. Check the campus calendar daily for events to attend. These could yield great photo opportunities of students participating at activities, and let’s be honest – alumni never get tired of seeing photos of their alma mater!

2. Go on an “instagram walk”. I like to take a half-hour chunk of time and walk around campus. This way, you can get into the heart of student activity and find new and beautiful ways to see our campus! Maybe you’ll even get lucky and pass a group of squirrels playing tag on the south oval. Also, bonus, fresh air and exercise!

3. Listen to your audience. We follow a lot of students and incoming freshmen on instagram and tumblr, so I frequently check their feeds and see what they’re up to. You might find beautiful shots of campus that you can share, or you might come across groups, activities, and campus interests that you didn’t know about!

4. Reach out. My content intern, Sydney, is an invaluable source of campus information. She’s a student here at OU, and she is eager to go out and explore to find stories. When I can’t get out of the office, Sydney is more than happy to attend events and interview students!

5. When all else fails, post something about food, weather, or sports. The test of time has shown that these types of posts generate the most activity.

Good luck, and happy writing!