Sunday 7: 7 Photo Apps On My Phone Right Now

While I wasn’t able to get to the Friday 5 on time, I lucked out on Sunday and Seven being an alliteration. So, better late than never, let’s take a quick look at just a few of the photo-related apps on my iPhone right now.

1. Snapseed

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 2.31.58 PM

As far as mobile editing is concerned, Snapseed is where it’s at. Don’t bother spending two or three bucks on other editing apps when you can get this one for FREE!  I’ve used it for the past three years and I’ve yet to find another app that can do what it does in such an intuitive and user-friendly way.

As you can see from the screen shot above, there’s a large variety of editing tools at your disposal. “Tune Image” let’s you adjust all the basics like brightness, contrast, shadows, saturation, etc. Of course the app has the ability to make your simple crop and rotation changes, but what really makes this app one-of-a-kind is it’s photoshop-esque “Brush,” “Selective Adjustments,” and “Healing” features.  If you need to edit on the go and want more options than what iPhoto gives you, download HERE!

2. Crowdfire

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 2.27.51 PM

Crowdfire is the one-stop shop for all my social media concerns. Really, I just use it for my Instagram as I’m not concerned with Facebook or twitter, but the options are there should you want it. It’s a great tool for anybody wanting to grow their presence on Social Media without mindlessly ‘liking’ and ‘following’ every account you come across. Unlike so many apps before it, Crowdfire lets you find the people that are the most actively engaged on social media. That way, the people and accounts you start connecting with will yield a much higher rate of engagement. Crowdfire doesn’t stop there…

The app also let’s you see which people you follow don’t follow you back or have unfollowed you, and then gives you the option of unfollowing them, in case, you know, you’re feelings are hurt… Not that that’s ever happened to me… I mean, so what if it has…  It’s not like I care about your stupid little account David… I mean… your accounts not stupid. It’s just…. Why? Why did you unfollow me? Was it something I said? Was it something I posted? Why? Please tell me. TELL ME!

If you’re the kind to plan your pics or tweets days in advance, Crowdfire let’s you schedule those too. Perhaps my favorite feature is what they call “Admirers.” Jump to that tab and you’ll be taken to a list of all the people who follow you and frequently like your posts. From there, the app makes it easy to share the love by letting you like, favorite or comment on some of their most recent posts.

3. Layout

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 3.04.17 PM

While I usually never need to combine multiple images in a single frame, there is the rarest of occasions where I do. For that, I’ll use Instagram’s very own, “Layout” app. Why I downloaded it in the first place is beyond me, but I distinctly remember being pleasantly surprised by the user interface. Layout somehow made the task of combining multiple images a simple and, dare I say, enjoyable experience.

Who knew there could be so many options for making a simple photo collage? Via access to your photo albums, choose your desired images and watch as the app displays all the ways in which you could fit them on screen. Once you choose the general layout scheme, you’re forwarded to the next screen where you have even further options to edit things like image size, orientation, borders, mirroring, etc… It’s actually quite fun.

4. Cinemagraph

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 3.17.29 PM

Rising in popularity, cinemagraphs are way easier to produce than they were just a few years ago. What was once done through painstaking photoshop manipulation, rendering, and editing can now be achieved through mobile apps! Don’t know what a cinemagraph is? It’s essentially a short video that gives the allusion you’re looking at a still image with some subtle motion mixed in. The keyword there is “subtle.”

newspaper

The Cinemagraph app I have is produced by Flixel, and while it’s limited in functionality, you can still get some pretty decent looking cinemagraphs with it. The major drawback though is it doesn’t have the ability to export a .gif version. Flixel has a big brother version available on the Mac App store jam packed with features but it’ll run you $200. Flixel’s mobile app is free and is also a great source to find other people’s cinemagraphs too.

If you want to see more examples of Cinemagraphs, check out cinemagraphs.com.

5. Adobe Shape

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 3.34.29 PM

Ever wish you could throw your paper doodles up on your computer screen? I did and that’s why I have Adobe Shape. It’s one of the coolest apps I’ve ever seen! Let’s say you just drew the most beautiful zebra with pencil and paper, but ‘oh’ how you wish you could paint it in photoshop. Well guess what… you can! Simply take a picture of a sketch, a love letter, a building, whatever you wish, and Adobe Shape will use the contrasts of the image to create a vector image of your sketch, love letter, building, etc…

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 3.35.16 PM

What’s even better is that if you already have an adobe account, your image, since it is a vector now, can be used as a brush in photoshop. How’s this applicable? Draw a picture of an ant. Use the app to take a picture of that drawing. The app sends it to your photoshop “Saved Brushes” panel, and now you can literally draw lines and lines of ants using that same original image you drew on paper.  Vectors turn out best when they’re from a sketch drawn out because of the natural contrast between white and black but you can even make vectors from images taken straight from your camera roll. Pretty Cool!

6. Action Movies

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 3.53.08 PM

Ok so this one isn’t necessarily the best app ever created, but it’s super funny. Not much to explain here other than there’s a collection of pre-recorded terrible events (alien invasion, robot attack, asteroid collision) that you can place into your own iPhone recorded video.  Pretty basic but fun nonetheless.

7. Camcorder

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 4.16.17 PM

Camcorder lets you record like you’re in the days of old. Like, 1993 old. If you’re looking for a way to make your videos feel especially retro, the Camcorder app is the way to go. Customize the date and time and go shoot in some horribly distorted VHS flare. This app is free but there’s plenty of others out there that’ll make you pay up to $2.99 for the same features, so beware.

My beautiful 120 Gallon Planted Fish Aquarium.

Thanks for reading!

Mason

@thedrumms