A New Frontier: Launching OU’s Spanish Facebook Page

¡Bienvenidos a Universidad de Oklahoma!  Welcome to The University of Oklahoma!

After months of talks between many departments & Web Communications, we finally announced the new Spanish Facebook page for the University.

This collective effort has the sole purpose to better serve our students, our community, and our people.

And, I am beyond excited to be part of this.

As an immigrant, I know how helpful it is to have a tool in one’s native language because it makes things easier.

I still remember when I first moved to the U.S. in 2005 and had to register for college on my own… long story short, a janitor had to assist me as a translator.

The resources I had 11 years ago were minimal; I had Rigoberto.

But times have changed… and so have we.

This page is intended to provide information and updates surrounding the University… ¡en español!

Most importantly, the goal is to engage and integrate Hispanics to a diversifying community/student body. And here is why:

Adapting to demographic changes in Oklahoma

The last census in 2010 showed that Hispanics were the largest minority group in Oklahoma. Indeed, stats revealed that they made up 8.9% of the total population (333,893).

The ‘ranking’ has not changed ever since. In fact, the numbers have consistently grown.

Hispanics stood at 9.8% (380,049) in 2014 per an updated report, totaling 36% of the overall population growth in Oklahoma from 2010 to 2014.

Now, the next question could be: why Facebook?

Early last year, the Pew Research Center published a survey on social media preferences among different races and ethnicities. Yes, Facebook was the most used social media site across all races. And if you look at the chart below, 73% of Hispanics interviewed used Facebook.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 1.41.22 PM

I can acknowledge that this report is pretty accurate. As far as my experience with the local Hispanic community goes, I have seen more engagement with them through this social media channel than any other. It is easier for them to use and does not have many limitations.

Needless to say, we will continue exploring different social media venues to better serve the Hispanic community.

Yet, we are proud of taking this first step of many.

¡Nos vemos pronto, Sooners! (See you soon, Sooners!)

For the record, we don’t want you to NOT be friends with Rigoberto, but we want to be a friendly and helping tool.

@francosy

@ouwebcomm