Hitting The Books Again: Exhausted But Not Alone

28189870871_12f797fbbc_o

What am I doing?

I asked myself this question one too many times over the last eight weeks. Despite having two jobs, a wife, and a three-year old daughter, I decided to pursue a Master’s degree in the Professional MBA program at Price College of Business.

I knew it was going to be hard. I knew it was going to stretch my time extremely thin, but I was attracted to the idea of surrounding myself with incredibly talented and intelligent peers and bettering myself in the process. I knew it would make me insanely busy, but it was a worthwhile challenge.

That being said, being worthwhile doesn’t make it any less crazy. Do you remember how I mentioned having two jobs? Yes, TWO jobs! Very loco! I work for the OKC Energy FC and the University of Oklahoma, handling OU’s Spanish Facebook.

But, recently I learned I’m not the only one juggling two jobs and school.

A year ago, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics revealed that individuals with at least a college degree are “significantly more likely to work two jobs”. This report analyzed employment data from 1994 to 2013.

screen-shot-2016-10-14-at-3-35-51-pm

Whether it’s economic recession or never-ending student loans, there are several reasons students are working multiple jobs on top of course work.

To me, holding tight on two jobs and still getting my MBA is the product of not having the opportunity to do so for seven years (up until a year ago, I was liberated from the restraints of a working visa to obtain a green card).

While it’s hard, the so-called American Dream seems within reach. Through the struggle, I have to keep in mind that I’m bettering myself and that there are people who would love the opportunities that I have.

What am I doing?

I’m taking an advantage of an opportunity with a lot on my plate, but it’s worth it.

Who are you?

That’s the question my three-year-old daughter is asking since I’ve been working and studying all day. It’s also my cue to wrap up this blog and go hang out with her.

@francosy