Why I shoot with Fuji’s X100T.

Why I Shoot With Fuji’s X100T.
I love working at WebComm. There’s the creative environment, lively campus atmosphere, restaurants for days and, of course, I get to shoot with some of the best gear around!  It’s been a humbling experience to suddenly go from my Nikon D7100 (what I shot with in Japan) to the same equipment that artists like Phillip Bloom shoot with. All that to say, shooting with this equipment has really solidified my belief that it’s not so much about the camera but about the photographer. Perfect example – my favorite picture I’ve ever taken was done with an iPhone!
screen-shot-2016-12-06-at-3-22-56-pm

Shot on iPhone 7, 6s, 6, 5s, 5

About a year ago I sold my DSLR with all it’s lenses and made the jump to Fujifilm’s X100T camera. It’s not full-frame, it can’t change lenses, it has a rather sub-par focusing speed, and it costs around $1,200.
screen-shot-2016-12-06-at-3-21-53-pm

The Fuji X100T

Why would I make such a jump? To some, a decision to simplify my shooting style might seem like a step backwards. And while Canon, Sony, and Nikon all make fantastic cameras, what interests me about Fujifilm’s X100t was it’s discreetness, it’s tangibility, and it’s definitiveness. Let me explain…
Discreetness
Unlike my big fat DSLRs, I can carry my X100T around with me literally anywhere. It’s an unassuming camera and because I can always have it with me, I’m less likely to miss a shot. Photography, for me, is a process that lets me enjoy life and the world around me. Some people see it as a distraction, right? “Ah, come on Mason, just enjoy this sunset… don’t take a picture of it!” Well, there’s something to be said of enjoying a moment for what it is, but as I look back over the past four years I can honestly say that if it weren’t for my endeavors in photography I would have MISSED OUT on some of the greatest moments of my life. The X100T encourages me to see the world and notice new things. In addition to that, the size of the camera is significantly less intimidating when I’m interviewing strangers and asking people for portraits. Rangefinder cameras are great because you can have one eye looking through a viewfinder and you’re not blocking your entire face from the person you’re trying to connect with. It helps that my subjects can see me smile as I take their picture.
dscf9547-jpg
Tangibility
Unlike my big fat DSLRs, I think my X100T is absolutely gorgeous. I love it’s aesthetic, it’s tactile dials, it’s shutter and aperture rings. If it’s speed you’re wanting in a camera, I wouldn’t recommend the X100T. This is a camera that’s best if you slow down, take your time, and enjoy the process of taking a picture. I’m not blasting through a high speed shutter on this camera. No, I’ll leave that to football games with my 5D.
The X100T feels good in my hand and makes me want to go take pictures. Sometimes, the size and form factor of my DSLR’s are a hinderance to what I’m wanting to do… the X100T seems like a tool that assists me whereas my 5D is something I have to fight against (regarding form factor).
screen-shot-2016-12-06-at-3-24-15-pm
Definitiveness
One of the best things I love about my X100T is probably something a lot of people hate about it… the fixed lens. I chose to get the X100T with the understanding that I wouldn’t be able to add lenses later. While that limits me as a photographer to a certain extent, it also frees me from the constant ‘want of more,’ and having to worry about which lenses to throw into my bag. There were times that I’d find myself taking a DSLR with 2 lenses out to a restaurant because “I want to be prepared for anything!’ The X100T lets me bring a quality camera along with me but I don’t have to obsess over things that don’t really matter. It’s also worth noting that the f/2 lens is nothing to be snarled at. It’s a darn good lens that insanely sharp. Check out the image below I took of one of our interns here in the studio.

f/4.5, ISO 1000, 1/160sec

It’s been almost a year since I made the switch and I’m still as enthusiastic about the camera as the day I got it. Simply as a result of how the camera functions, I think I’ve become much more hesitant to just arbitrarily take photos. Instead of shooting a lot of images and hoping one of them turn out ok, I’ll just spend more time with the settings and composition before I click the shutter. This is a habit that’s translated over to shoots I do with my larger DSLRs as well, and it’s helped me become a better photographer.
If you want to see more images taken with the X100T, you can check out my instagram here:
-Mason