Live On University!

Thousands of freshmen move into Couch, Adams, Walker and Cate Centers every August and turn a vacant residence hall into their home for nine months. When May comes, some students will unplug their string lights, pack away their pictures and say goodbye to their first home-away-from-home. Others, however, decide to move back into the residence halls as upperclass students. We talked to a few of those freshmen who decided to make the residence halls their home again next year, and here’s what they have to say.

Amy Vanderveer

Freshman Amy Vanderveer.

Amy Vanderveer
Q: Why did you decide to live in the residence halls again?

A: I thoroughly enjoyed my experience this past year, and it’s a very convenient living option since it’s on campus. I also have a lot of good friends who are going to live in the residence halls again next year. Close proximity to friends is good for study parties, and I’m looking forward to having that again next year.

Q: What are some of the benefits you think will come from living in the residence halls as an upperclass student?

A: I’ll be able to sleep longer because I won’t have to drive everyday! I’ll also be able to make friends that are freshmen and help get them plugged in on campus. I had some upperclass students do that for me, and it was really helpful. I’m looking forward to having my choice of suitemates.

Q: If you could have one celebrity as your roommate next semester, who would it be and why?

A: I probably would pick Emma Watson because she’s fantastic and incredibly brilliant. She would make Harry Potter watch parties a lot of fun.

Oscar Enriquez 

Oscar Enriquez

Freshman Oscar Enriquez.

A: I like the residence halls because they’re on campus and convenient. It’s not so feasible in my situation to bring a car up to Norman. It’s easier to live in the middle of everything as opposed to somewhere farther away.

Q: What do you look forward to next year as an upperclass student in the residence halls?

A: I’m looking forward to seeing who ends up on my hall with me.

Q: Are there any great memories that you’ve had in the residence halls that convinced you to live there again?

A: One good memory is my roommate from last semester; he was cool and easy to live with. It was a good time.

A: Morgan Freeman. He’d never annoy me.

Ann Marcelli

Freshman Ann Marcelli.

Ann Marcelli

A: I enjoyed being so close to everything – class, the gym, the Caf, my church and my job are all within walking distance. Part of the reason I chose OU in the beginning was because I could live across the street from the stadium and Gaylord College. I figured I’d spend a good amount of time in both since I’m a PR major, and I work in the stadium. My plan is to live in the residence halls next year and move into the new Residential Colleges my junior year.

A: I think that staying on campus keeps you more involved. There’s always something going on, and I feel like you’d miss out on a lot if you didn’t live on campus, whether it’s activities through UPB or sporting events. I love going to different events on campus, and it’ll be nice to be so close to them. Plus, OU is offering some really great incentives for upperclass students, which is awesome.

Q: How do you plan to decorate your room next year?

A: I love craft projects, and I’m obsessed with Pinterest. I have a whole board’s worth of little decorations I want to make. I love quotes (inspirational or things from my favorite TV shows). There will definitely be a lot of those around my room.

ReApp2016

If you have any questions about living in the residence halls as an upperclass student, you can comment below or contact housinginfo@ou.edu.