Make your meal equally delicious with a healthier option! When you think of a ham sandwich for lunch, you probably think of mayonnaise as a dressing option. According to health experts, one tablespoon of mayo is roughly 94 calories and 10 grams of fat. It has no protein, vitamins, fiber or calcium. You can improve your diet by substituting it in your meals. Here are five alternatives to mayo for your diet!
- One of these alternatives is Greek yogurt. One tablespoon provides 8 calories and about 1.5 grams of protein and calcium. Next time you want to enjoy a sandwich, slather fresh plain Greek yogurt!
- If you’re looking for an alternative to your salad, try this Mediterranean staple!Olive oil is highly recognized for its health benefits. Experts recommend using it on salads and pasta-based dishes!
- Hummus is another notable Mediterranean treat and potential substitute. Hummus provides about a quarter of the calories found in mayo and gives you additional fiber and protein. Find your favorite flavor, and add it to your diet!
- If what you’re looking for is something simple and quick, how about a mashed avocado spread on your sandwich? The guac doesn’t cost extra if you pack it from home! This is another option for only a quarter of the calories found in mayo.
- Lastly, you can trade your mayo jar for a mustard one. This option provides only 10 calories per tablespoon! The diversity in its flavor combinations is one that continues to grow, making it ideal for your tastebuds. Keep in mind that honey mustard will have twice as many calories (same goes for other similar flavors).
Whichever alternative you choose, healthy nutrition is about creating a positive eating experience. Small steps make a great change!