An Inside Look at the OU Housing and Food Services MarCom Internship

It’s an exciting time here at the OU Housing and Food Marketing and Communication office. We are looking for new interns! OU Housing and Food MarCom is the in-house marketing team that supports all of Housing and Food Services operations. From advertising new items offered in campus restaurants, to keeping students informed about residence hall living via social media and blogs, the work at MarCom is endless and exciting! This internship opportunity has so much to offer, and the job brings something new to explore and create each day.

The current MarCom interns have come together to offer their reason for why they applied and to discuss their favorite part about being an intern. Keep reading to discover why you should apply to be an intern at OU Housing and Food MarCom!

Hannah

Why did you apply to become an intern for MarCom?

I applied for the MarCom internship because I was needing an internship, but more than that, I was wanting an internship where I knew the environment would encourage me to grow and teach me skills I could use throughout my career.

What has been your favorite part or favorite memory?

The people I work with! I’ve never loved a team I’ve worked with more than the people I work with in MarCom. I love these people, and I know I’ll still be close to them even after the internship is over.

What is the biggest or most important thing you have learned or gained during your time here?

How to organize myself and my tasks! I’ve learned how to be more organized in my processes. I’m still learning that, but I am much better off now. I’ve also learned the value of team work and that I thrive in a team environment. It’s helped me decide what type of working environment I like most moving forward in my career.

Meredith B.

I was in the process of looking for a summer internship, and after hearing from current MarCom interns about how much they loved their job, I knew that it was important for me to apply!

Of course, the people that I work with are my favorite part! Everyone is always ready and willing to collaborate and help out. MarCom has truly given me some of my best friends, and I will forever be thankful for that. This internship experience has greatly impacted my OU experience.

Through my time here, I have been able to help serve the OU community, which has allowed my love for the university to grow.

I have been able to grow my skills as a blogger, social media marketer and graphic designer, which has allowed me to develop a clearer understanding of what I want to do after graduation. What’s special about this internship is that nobody is stuck in a box. Yes, each intern has their specialty, but we are always encouraged to take on different projects or develop new skills. I can say, without a doubt, that I am stronger communicator and PR practitioner because of my time at MarCom.

Jordan

I applied for this internship because I loved the idea of being able to work on campus and be involved with the university, while also being paid and gaining professional experience. It’s really a win-win-win! Housing and Food Services is a huge part of campus life at OU, and it’s an honor for us as students to have the opportunity to make a tangible, immediate impact on our community.

My favorite memories are being able to go to Couch Restaurants for special holiday meals, like Christmas or Mardi Gras! I think those meals are the coolest thing that our department does, and it’s so fun to go and take pictures and enjoy each others’ company and, of course, the food. Also, we get to watch students’ faces of confusion and excitement when they walk through the doors expecting a regular meal, only to see beautiful decorations, an elaborate buffet and live music.

The most important thing I’ve learned is that marketing and public relations skills are for everyone, not just people in those specific majors. Even as a finance and music major, I have been able to use skills from this job in the classroom and in professional situations. Being in the Marketing and Communications department teaches us how to see the big picture of an organization, pay attention to details and communicate consistently with customers. Learning to do all of that simultaneously and successfully is really difficult, but makes us more prepared in the long run.

Meredith M.

I LOVE the food on campus. So much so that I was interviewed about my favorite dish, the Ruthie’s Grilled Cheese, by a MarCom intern, Hannah. That is how I found out about the internship! I wanted to get hands-on experience, and MarCom let’s their interns have a lot of creative freedom to come up with unique content for social media and work on different projects and events.

The other interns! Working with some of my new best friends has been the most beneficial experience. We all work well together and brainstorm new projects as a team, but we also hangout outside of work and encourage each other daily. It’s really great to work with other interns, and the full-time staff really invests in you and gives you the experience of leading your own campaigns and projects.

I have really grown in my design skills. I started off with some design experience but MarCom really allowed me to branch out of my comfort zone and try new techniques and styles. I have learned to make graphics I am proud of and work better in a team environment.

Maricela

It was a way to acquire experience in my field of study and be close to campus! It’s a great way to balance work, campus involvement and classes.  

My favorite part of the internship has been meeting amazing people! When I first started, I got to learn from other interns that are now doing great things around the country. This past summer, I met more amazing people here. There’s never a dull moment at the office! The support system I have acquired from the ladies I work with is irreplaceable.

Professionally speaking, I gained experience with creating and following the voice of an organization throughout all channels of communication.

Casee

I wanted an internship that promoted creative thinking and encouraged learning new skills. I applied to MarCom because I had been following the Housing and Residence Life social media sites for a while, and thought it was a cool, creative program that I would enjoy contributing to.

My favorite part of work is the collaborative atmosphere. We come together on a daily basis to brainstorm, and I can always get helpful advice or opinions on my work from my fellow interns.

The most important thing I have learned here is a culmination of a bunch of small victories. I’ve learned so much about working a camera, graphic design, marketing, the list goes on. I have gained a network of loving people, who I consider great friends and colleagues. I have never had a week go by during this internship that I didn’t learn something new. It has been an incredibly positive experience.

Teresa

I was already on campus pretty much every day and I wanted a good experience but also something that could fit with my schedule. It was also a paid internship, which you don’t find very often in Norman. As a public relations student, I wanted the marketing and communication experience because I wanted to expand my set of skills and learn more exciting communication strategies beyond traditional public relations.

Definitely the interns. For any job or internship, your co-workers make or break your experience, and I could not have asked for better people. Everyone is excited to learn, but also everyone has a different role they would be more than happy to teach you about. It’s always fun to be in the office because all the interns are fun and easygoing.

I got to practice my writing skills with the blog and my social media content creation skills with our platforms, but more than anything I learned that a project’s success depends on its people. Yes, we all get different jobs, but at the end of the day, we all have the same goals. So when it comes to working together, it’s important to know what each person can contribute and let them prove they can pull their own weight.

Want to join our team? Check out the job listing here, and begin your application today!