The Inside Scoop on the OU Housing and Food Services MarCom Internship

The OU Housing and Food Services Marketing and Communication office is looking for spring interns! This internship has so much to offer and provides plenty of room for students to grow. If you are interested in graphic design, account management, social media, video production, website management and more, this internship is for you. From keeping the OU community informed about campus events to advertising dining specials, the work at MarCom is endless and exciting!

The current MarCom interns have come together to discuss their favorite parts of their internship, as well as the benefits. Keep reading to discover why you should apply to be an intern at OU Housing and Food Services MarCom!

Cassidy

Why did you apply to be a MarCom intern?

I applied because I wanted an internship related to my major so I could get hands-on advertising experience, create unique social media content and work on a variety of graphic design and writing projects. I also loved the idea of being able to work on campus and have the opportunity to make a tangible, immediate impact on the University of Oklahoma community.

Describe your average day here.

When I come in in the morning, the first thing I do is post on our social media sites about what is going on that day, including important information students should know. Then, I work on any assignments or projects that are given to me. At the beginning of each week, I also update the menus for all the campus restaurants and look at the events that are going on around campus that week so we can promote them on social media.

Cam

What is the best part of being a MarCom intern?

The best part of being an intern here is the ability to do a wide range of tasks. I am able to write posts about upcoming events, take pictures around campus and design a poster—all on the same day! The schedule also allows for a lot of flexibility. We create our schedules around our classes and are able to take time off if we need to study for a test, for example. Everyone who works here is extremely nice and knowledgeable. If you don’t know how to do something or want to learn a new skill, you can always find someone who will be more than happy to teach you.

What has been your favorite memory?

My favorite memory was doing Cam vs. Food, a Snapchat series where I tried the food at different Couch Restaurants each week. When I interviewed for this internship, I explained how I wanted to start something new that incorporated Housing and Food Services and social media. I wanted to create something entertaining that students would look forward to seeing each week—I believe Cam vs. Food accomplished that.

Niels

How does this internship relate to your goals?

When I graduate, I want to work in digital marketing. With this internship, I am able to create graphics, make social media posts and get a lot of real-life experience in digital marketing. The experience and knowledge I am gaining as a MarCom intern will give me an advantage ahead of other people in applying for a job.

Lauren

What has been your greatest accomplishment during this internship?

As a MarCom intern, my greatest accomplishment has been seeing the pictures I take of campus, food and students posted on Housing and Food Services’ social media pages. Through this internship, I have learned new techniques and have become much better and more confident in my photography skills. I am glad to have found an internship where I can now share my hobby and passion with other people.

Meredith

What new knowledge and skills have you gained?

Before I started this internship, I had no experience with the Adobe Creative Suite programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Now, I feel very comfortable with these applications and I’m able to do a lot of graphic design projects.

Why do you think internships are important?

I think that having an internship is important because it is the best way to apply what you have learned in your classes and gain new skills while you are still in college. An internship provides you with real-life knowledge and experience. Through an internship, you can also learn new skills like photography, writing, graphic design and more to figure out what you do and do not like to do before getting a job after college.

Jordan

What is the most important thing you have learned during your time here?

It sounds cheesy, but the most important thing I have learned as a MarCom intern is teamwork. I have had to work with a lot of different people and I’ve learned that more minds are better than one. When you have more people working on a project, you’ll get better results. It’s also important to communicate with the people you work with and ask for help when you need it. Sometimes your team members will have a new, fresh perspective or idea, or see something that you missed.

What advice do you have for students who want to be a MarCom intern?

My advice is to make sure you apply! Being a MarCom intern is a great way to learn new skills, make lasting friendships and have creative freedom in what you do. You can apply for this exciting internship here!

Apply at jobs.ou.edu, student jobs, job #173598.