Snapchat Cam here. I’m excited to talk about that special day! Once a year, couples scramble to plan something special that is unique, cute, cost-effective and worthy of Instagram likes. Lucky for you, readers, I have planned a full day of activities that will meet all of your criteria, and then some. Mix and match from the following list; but, trust me, you don’t want to miss out on these romantic staples here at OU to make your date swoon.
- Channel the golden oldies and take a walk around the OU duck pond! Enjoy the beautiful weather and get some exercise in with the scenic view. Time it just right and catch the sunset (6:11 p.m.) over the still water.
- Bring back the childhood crush vibes by hitting the swing set on the Walker-Adams Mall. Have a jumping competition, swing in sync or just enjoy the sunshine and breeze.
- Once you’ve worked up an appetite with the previous two events, head over to Couch Restaurants for the extra-tasty Valentine’s Day Dinner. Split a plate of spaghetti a la “Lady and the Tramp,” or show off your true romantic nature by demolishing his and hers burgers. After all, nothing says true love like an all-you-can-eat restaurant.
- If you are looking for less lovey-dovey in your dates, make it a low-key affair by going on a museum date. OU offers two state-of-the-art museums – both incredible, both free. Channel your inner Ferris Bueller by heading to the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art and delve deep into the depths of your own soul… or say something “deep” like that to impress your date. If art isn’t for you, go the prehistoric route with a “timeless” date at the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History (muted laughter). Learn all about the past with interactive exhibits and more dinosaurs than you can shake Cupid’s arrow at.
- For those who are in tune with social media, you know there isn’t a better spot for a cutesy photo-op than the LOVE statue on the North Oval. Hug in front of it or pose to your heart’s content with a not-so-metaphorical symbol of how you feel for your partner. BONUS: Bring a speaker and play Nat King Cole’s “L-O-V-E” while you do this one. The stars will align and St. Valentine himself will appear and betroth you and your special someone to each other.
- While we are on the topic of classic OU photo-ops, stay on the North Oval and spend some time in the infamous Spoonholder. If you aren’t in the know, legend has it that kissing your significant other in the Spoonholder means that you and your partner will get married. Use this to figure out where your relationship is headed or to weed out Mr. Wrong. The Spoonholder tradition is like the uber-successful and pretty sibling of the “stand under the clock tower and look up” tradition, and both are able to decide your future with a seemingly minor act. Super fun!
- Lastly, you have to finish with dessert. So, throw on your leather jacket or pink poodle skirt and head to Crossroads to split a milkshake. Two straws in a strawberry milkshake will let everyone know that you two are meant to be, and your taste buds will thank you for the treat as well. 10/10 better than the average box of chocolates.
Do you have any on-campus Valentine’s Day plans that you want to share? Leave your recommendations in the comments!
(See more of my future adventures by following the OU Housing and Food Services Snapchat account!)