Your Typical Fall Blog

How does the beginning of every classic fall blog begin? It probably contains something along the lines of the leaves falling and changing colors, temperature dropping and pumpkin spice everything hitting the shelves. Well, guess what? I’m here to tell you that the leaves are changing, I am wearing a sweater with a turkey on it and I just saw Pumpkin Spice Cheerios.

My name is Gage Bauer and I’m a senior advertising student. The last three months of the year are always my favorite. The temperatures are cooler, people are often times in better spirits and the leaves are changing colors. I wanted to share with you some of the things I have done throughout my time at OU, which really made my holiday seasons at this great University even better.

Could we write a proper fall blog post without mentioning a pumpkin patch and carving or painting pumpkins? Absolutely not. So, you and your significant other, friend or squad should head down to a pumpkin patch. We all know there’s plenty of them in this great state; so, go pick out a few pumpkins. I would recommend picking out a big pumpkin to carve because it provides a larger canvas and more forgiveness when carving. Use smaller pumpkins for painting, as they require less paint and less consistent details if you are not a great artist (like myself). Pumpkin decorating contests are always fun, and you can even pitch in a half gallon of eggnog for the winner!

Costume contests are a thing of beauty. If everyone really puts their best foot forward, scours the internet and puts their creative cap on, it can be a great time! If you want to narrow things down, you can pick a genre like movies or well-known shows, like The Office, and relate the contest to those things. You would be surprised at how much easier it is to come up with creative costume ideas when you have some parameters to work within.

Volunteering is a great way to get involved, meet people and get into the holiday spirit. It’s a beautiful thing to see! Charities like Meals on Wheels, the local animal shelters and the Regional Food Bank are all great places to give your time – no money required – and do a great thing.

A scavenger hunt requires more coordination than the ideas listed above, but the results can be of a lot of fun. You and your friends can develop a list of items to find around campus to photograph. Whoever completes their checklist first is the winner! We recommend incorporating berries, spider webs, colored leaves and Halloween decorations.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, a Friendsgiving is in order. Friendsgiving a feast among friends to celebrate the fact that they have had the opportunity to cross paths in life. This traditionally occurs in the days before or after Thanksgiving. I have some great memories from each of mine, and my favorite might be when one of my friends told a joke that caused my brother to shoot eggnog out of his nose. I would recommend cooking together as well; cooking mistakes can be even better memories.

As an elderly senior, I can say with certainty that these activities made my college experience much better. I would love to hear about your experiences, and if you have any ideas that I missed, I would love to hear about them in the comments below.