Student Spotlight: Jiabo He

This post is a part of our Student Spotlight Series where we sit down with graduating students and ask them to reflect on their time at MCEE and what comes next. 

1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

I am a graduate student in MCEE, supervised by Dr. Siddharth Misra. I came to OU at Fall 2016 and graduated at Spring 2018. I will start to pursue my PhD degree in University of Melbourne in Australia at the end of July, 2018.

1. Tell me a little bit about what it’s like to study Petroleum Engineering at OU.

It is a fantastic journey to study in OU. My supervisor Dr. Misra helped me the most in my research. All faculty people in MPGE are really nice. I also met with a lot of friends here, both from China and other countries. It is unforgettable to study in OU in the last two years.

1. Congratulations on your admittance to graduate school, what are you looking forward to about the program?

I will be a PhD candidate of Computer Science in University of Melbourne. It may take me about 4 years to do research in School of Computing and Information Systems. My ultimate goal is to apply computer science technologies to traditional industries such as petroleum industry.

1. What are you most excited about living in Australia?

I will live in Melbourne for at least four years, which is one of the most liveable city in the world. It is pleasant to enjoy the sunshine and beach after study. People in Australia are as nice as those in America. I am looking forward to making friends with them. University of Melbourne is also a great university with many talented and excellent people. I will definitely learn a lot from them.

1. That’s quite a change from petroleum engineering to computer science, what drew you to it?

Doing research in computer science does not mean to give up my knowledge in petroleum engineering. Everyone should study for their whole life. Computer science technologies have been applied to almost every area, including traditional industries like petroleum industry. It is great help for the improvement of these industries if I am able to apply computer science technologies to them, including artificial intelligence, big data and so on.

1. Do you think that the education you’ve received from OU has adequately prepared you for your life after graduation?

The education that I received from OU is much more than doing research. I also learned different culture from all over the world, how to help each other and to be a nice and generous person in OU. The education in OU is successful and focused on people.

1. Lastly, what is something you’d like someone graduating this year to know about alumni life or heading to grad school?

All OU alumni are generous and willing to help students in OU. If anyone is looking for help from us, please feel free to contact us.