Oh, You!

The OU Alumni Association Blog

5 Things You Need to Know About…Gerardo Marrufo, Class of 2018

| 2 Comments

INTERVIEW

Name your hidden talent.

I can sleep anywhere. Planes, benches, grass, or anything in between. You name it, I can probably sleep on it.

You carry a full class load, work 20 hours a week, produce videos (just to name a few). How do you juggle it all?

You know, I get this question a lot from my friends and family. I always tell them the same thing, “when you wake up and everything you do is something your passionate about, it’s hard to not find time.” Yes, it’s super cheesy, but it in my mind it makes sense. I’m not saying everyday is perfect, but I enjoy my classes and my activities because they all relate to what I want to do in life or they are that exact thing. Because I love what I do, I don’t mind staying up late, working on the weekend, or not hanging out with friends.

You’re from Clinton, OK. Why OU?

OU just seemed to be the right fit in several ways. I wanted something far enough that I could be away from home, but also in close enough proximity it wouldn’t be a huge hassle to visit home. I’m was never a fan of small town life and the annoying things that come with it, so OU was appealing in the fact it provided a large enough student body that I could have some anonymity but small enough to have a community type feeling to it. (Which I later learned why it’s called the OU Family) My final reason was that orange doesn’t compliment my skin very well. I’m just kidding! I wanted a campus that was beautiful, and the aesthetics of OU surpassed that of the other campuses I visited in Oklahoma. When it came time to decide what I wanted, It seemed just right. I kind of feel like Goldy Lockes.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

The ideal career path would be working as a hotshot movie producer. I want to wear a suit, sunglasses, drive a nice car, go from business meeting to business meeting, and drink mimosas all day. I want to be so wealthy that I can get a building named after me at OU. If the corporate life isn’t for me, then I will most likely be a director. I love movies and have very specific visions for what how I think stories should be portrayed. Thankfully, my major makes me versatile in writing, photography, and production so I can go wherever I want to.

What do you think you’ll need to remind your 40 year old self about?

I know it’s super sappy, but the first time I went to a movie by myself was a big moment for me. I was self conscious because no one goes to the movies by themselves. It just wasn’t a thing people do, at least in my weird adolescent mind. Thankfully, no one else wanted to see the matinee. I sat dead center looking at the screen. The movies was American Hustle. I wanted to see it so badly, but none of my friends were into that type of film. When the movie played, I was filled with a joy that I’d never felt before. Once the movie ended and the credits were rolling, I knew I wanted to make movies. I wanted to make someone feel what I felt. I hope that through all the monotony, success, or failure I may have in life, I can recall  what it was all for.

2 Comments

1. Gerardo, Hang tight to that Star and it’s YOURS!

2. Great interview! Go get’em, Gerardo!