Hi there! My name is Jordann Wiltfong, I’m a freshman here at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Journalism. I’m from a very small town in the northwest corner of Kansas, and so incredibly excited to finally be a Sooner! Coming from Kansas, I knew no one else here at OU. I was kind of nervous when I moved in early for rush, but all of my nerves disappeared as rush began.

I quickly made friends with the majority of girls on my floor and the girls in my walking group. You spend a lot of time with both of these groups, which is a bonus. You get to mingle with your floor and get to know them before anyone else. You also spend a lot of time with your walking group, going to and from houses, and my group got very close. Even though on day two, you’re basically on your own, my walking group still met up at dinner and ate together. We all talked about the houses we visited, our tough decisions for the night, and discussed the fact that we may end up being sisters. I still talk to the girls in my walking group, and know that these girls are going to be some of my closest friends while at OU, maybe even throughout life!

I was also very happy that I had made so many friends during rush, because in the following days, I got very sick, and the girls on my floor were there to take care of me, and I am so thankful! At a time when I wanted to call my mom, and have her drive six hours to come take care of me, all I had to do was ask my roommate or someone down the hall for help, and they were right there!

After I had gotten over being sick, and was ready to venture out into the world again, someone backed into Connie (my car) on regular move-in day. Just when I was ready to call my mom to come down and save me again, a girl from my floor was driving by, and stopped to help. She calmed me down, made me laugh, and made sure I was okay. She made a bad situation into one that I can now laugh about and will have as a good memory for all my life!

Now, classes have started and my life in Norman, Oklahoma, is in full swing. My first week of classes was crazy busy, but very fun! I am in 14 hours this semester, including Spanish every morning from 8:30 to 9:20; Political Science: American Federal Government Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:30 to 10:20; Expository Writing: Immigrant America on Mondays and Wednesdays from 12:00 to 1:30; and Honors Intro to Journalism and Mass Communication on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 to 11:45. Outside of classes, I’ve signed up to help with OU Nightly, and am applying for a few other campus activities to keep myself busy.

Not only can you make some memories with the many organizations on OU’s campus, with your Greek house, or floor, but you can also make them on the South Oval, McCasland Field House, even the laundry room. I had a blast during CAC’s Howdy Week, meeting new people, learning about all of OU’s organizations, and getting free food and garb everyday. I also got a taste of Sooner Nation when I watched the Sooner Volleyball team take on The U from Miami on Saturday, August 28th.  It was fun to catch a glimpse of what the OU Student Section is really like before football season kicks off. I’ve never been to a game in Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, but they say it’s incredible. If it’s anything like Saturday, or better, I’ll be more than happy! Howdy Week and the volleyball game were fun, but my favorite memory so far has been my night in the laundry room.

I was NOT looking forward to doing laundry, but this made it totally worth it. I started sorting my clothes, paid for my machines, started my loads and my wait. I almost plugged in my headphones to listen to some music and work on homework, until the girl across from me had a moment. She opened her washing machine and bubbles went everywhere! She had put in too much soap, and was literally searching for her clothes in the gob of suds! It was one the funniest things that I’ve ever seen in my 18 years of life!

Coming here, I had no idea what to expect life as an Oklahoma Sooner to be like, but after all of these crazy experiences, good and bad, I can’t wait for some more memories. For now, I’m out, but I’ll be back with more from my time as a Sooner later on, and know that these are my experiences, but yours are just right around the corner at OU! Boomer!

2 Responses to “Thanks for the memories!”

1. Kara on November 26th, 2010 1:12 pm

I am from Kansas and am looking to come to OU for journalism as well! Why did you choose OU? How is it being an out of state student?

2. JordannW on December 1st, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey Kara! I’m so excited for you and so happy that you are looking at coming to OU as well!

I picked OU because I loved the campus, the people, and Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication; however, I know that making your decision about where to attend college is way harder than that! When I visited my top three schools my senior year, I had to find the place where I “fit.” (I know it sounds corny, but really, finding that place where you fit is going to be the deciding factor!) When I visited, I found the places where I could see myself spending a lot of time for the next four years of my life: the Great Reading Room in Bizzell, Beaird Lounge, and in the commons area in Gaylord Hall! Once you find those places, choosing where you want to go becomes a lot easier!

On the topic of being an out of state student… If you’re not from Texas or Oklahoma, you’re going to have to pull up google maps in order for people to know where you’re from! Haha, but other than that it’s great! Seeing people with K-State and KU tags on their cars in Oklahoma, is like seeing people with OU tags in Kansas! You’ll get so excited because it’s so rare, and you’ll see them when you’re missing home the most and they will make your day! No matter who you are or where you’re from, you’ll get homesick at some point in time (and it’s not just people that live far away, I know people from Moore, OK, just 10 minutes away, that get homesick all the time!), but you’ll start making a home here in Norman. Your friends that you make here will also be the ones to brighten your day and help you forget all about being homesick!

I hope I answered your questions! Let me know if you have anymore! I had hundreds of questions when I was a senior! Best of luck in all of your experiences as a senior, and Boomer Sooner! 🙂