“Are you kidding me?  We have 55 friends in common!  How do I not know this person?”

Maybe I should start from the beginning.  I work in accounting consulting for Deloitte in New York City, and we started a project for Bank of America in Charlotte, North Carolina.  A plus to the new project – strong Big XII representation on the project. On our team of ten or so, we have someone from Texas A&M, someone from University of Nebraska, and myself from University of Oklahoma.

I bonded with Zach, the A&M grad, over their Yell Practice.  One year, for the CAC exec retreat we headed to College Station and watched the OU A&M game and attended a Yell Practice.  One afternoon while working together, Zach remarks, “All the OU people I know end up in New York.”

“Really?” I respond, “Who else?”

He mentions a friend from his hometown Cassie and says she went to the business school.  At this point, I am a little surprised I don’t know her.  Not because I think I should know everyone, but because I felt everyone knew everyone in college, especially if they’re in your same program in school.  The campus always felt like a small town, and your college felt like, well, a family of sorts.  Not like an immediate family, more like if you’re family consisted of 500 cousins your own age who look nothing like you and have completely different backgrounds and families, so maybe the family analogy wasn’t the most apt.

I immediately looked her up on the Book of Face.  What?  We have 55 friends in common, and they’re all really cool friends.  So now I am just disappointed in myself for not knowing my coworker’s friend from high school, but hoping to run into this Cassie character at an OU alum event in NYC soon.