Discovering the Lasting Frontier

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.” Said by Daniel Boorstin, this phrase was quoted in an essay by a Sooner Discovery student. As I proof read his paper, he was relating this quote to an issue with theology in our world today. This quote registered with me almost immediately as an example of what I’ve taken through my experience here. Despite the fact that I’m further along in my college career, I have had the opportunity to take away an abundance of lessons from this group of students. Beyond their knowledge in the classroom, I have witnessed their thriving personalities. They are beaming with both drive and ambition to follow the wildest dreams they’ve created for themselves. With a conscientious mindset, they acknowledge one another through their thought-provoking conversations, engagement in weekly activities, and of course, the selection of jokes one would expect from most seventeen year olds; some things never change.

11713926_686524771491566_4695857700518377600_o

Marissa, Peyton, Ashley, Delaney and Caitlin at the end of program banquet

Through this, I’ve been reminded of how much I’ve changed from high school to my current status as a rising senior in college.  I’ve reflected on how fortunate I’ve been to learn more about myself through the thoughts, behaviors, and actions among this group of students. It does not matter how far along I am in my life journey; we are not here to advance on our own merit, but more so by the varying perspectives we are challenged to learn from everyone we cross paths with. Regardless of their high school status, we treated these teenagers as the young adults they are rapidly becoming, and they reciprocated. From the way I see it, I’ve spent this past month with aspiring student leaders, who each have the potential to be strong representatives of our university in a myriad amount of ways. Within that same essay, he later referenced another quote, stating: “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free”. In line with this expression, I believe that this opportunity to work as a discovery guide for Sooner Discovery has allowed me to better understand what it means to be an Oklahoma Sooner. To me, a Sooner recognizes opportunities to grow in all senses at any given moment; our freedom enables us to see these chances to learn more. Overall, I believe it’s safe to say that both students and guides like me have done this so well through this program as they understand the meaning in discovering the spirit of knowledge in “The Lasting Frontier”.

Chris F

Energy Management

And Entrepreneurship, 2016

Tulsa, Oklahoma

11112911_683937998416910_9181165943539451201_n olG4TvOTg8klVb6ip6KvwJK1tbEdzoUcmZtzRN8b7BQ,84x1Lv0849rnMc2UReeSzyRwmgaueWIxc5l-Nk1DczQ,JRKhWADbaMx0uWN4Tw1CTW2KNJ0jakgwLJlw3v-payI,6i75gnm5XIDlAGJWJHKCcstuEzqO6sRiY2R_g9uUtFc