From Strangers to Family

As it comes to the end of the program I recall all of the memories and experiences I had here at OU. My time here at OU has been incredible and I will never forget it. I’ve met people from around the state and even from other states. I have made a bond with the 25 other students who attended this program with me as well as the wonderful Discovery Guides. Although it has only been 4 weeks, I have made friends for a lifetime in such a short limited amount of time. Coming into this program I was not sure if I would even make friends or if I would fit in. It took a little while to get comfortable with everybody and now at the end of the program, I know I am comfortable with everyone here. It is actually astonishing to me that I am able to be my true self with people I just met four weeks ago. I began to realize that I was destined to meet these people. These students, guides, mentors whatever you want to call them have come across my path for a reason, to teach me that I have the potential to do whatever I set myself to do.

11537880_685043658306344_5440770512193096156_o

Students at the Frames and Food evening program

I’ve been taught life goals and numerous other things here at Sooner Discovery and it hurts to leave them. I will be here next year for the 2nd Sooner Discovery and that gives me a reason to be happy. No matter what happens we will always be family. To me it’s crazy to think that everyone in this program, four weeks ago, were all strangers. I know now that even though the program is ending our friendships never will. Reunions are always in the future and I know this will not be the last time I see them. I will remember all the fun memories we had together. I am very confident that when I come to OU I will already have such wonderful friends here. I am grateful for meeting these smart, talented, wise, funny, young individuals. It will be sad not being able to see their faces every day, but there is always a way to stay in touch. I love my friends I have made here at Sooner Discovery and could not have asked for a better group of people. Sooner Discovery has opened my eyes to the endless possibilities the University of Oklahoma has to offer. Whether it be wonderful academics, uncountable amount of organizations, or being able to meet lifelong friends here OU always has something amazing happening.

Elena S.

Sooner Discovery Student

10154960_682448388565871_3597561069585299005_n

Elena blowing out the candles for her birthday party evening program

1540536_682448961899147_7064456626372994103_o

Students at Elena’s birthday party enjoying food, fun and friends together