Closed Captioning helps provide a complete viewing experience for all users, including those who have a hearing impairment.
While it may be tedious to type out every word, it is also necessary to comply with federal law. Web accessibility standards and federal law (that goes for the University of Oklahoma, too!) requires all videos to have closed captioning.
Websites such as www.overstream.net make it easy to comply.
Let’s get started!
1) Create an account on Overstream.net
2) Click “Create” to begin and enter unique YouTube video URL
3) Save file with the name of the video
4) Caption your video as demonstrated
5) You are now ready to export your file under “Tools”–“Export Current Subtitles as SRT”
6) Sign into your YouTube account and go to the video you just captioned, select “Edit” and navigate to “Captions and Subtitles”
7) Under Add a Caption Track select “Add New Captions or Transcript”
8) The subtitles should immediately show up for use!