A review of Monday, June 7, 2010I hung my clothes over Proomie´s unused top bunk (she sleeps on the bottom) for clothes to dry since the roof is full of clothes, but they did not dry in time. Proomie has a nice fort though!

I hung my clothes over Proomie´s unused top bunk (she sleeps on the bottom) for clothes to dry since the roof is full of clothes, but they did not dry in time. Proomie has a nice fort though!

We went to Yancana Huasy, a school built by a priest in the 1980s for disabled children with services at a low cost.

This was my favorite room in the school because I love babies!

The students of Yancana Huasy are celebrating Flag Day here by parading down the stairs! This day honors those who lost in battle and celebrates the Peruvians' allegiance to the flag.

The students of Yancana Huasy are celebrating Flag Day here by parading down the stairs! This day honors those who were lost in battle and celebrates the Peruvians' allegiance to the flag.

Canto Grande, a very poor part of San Juan de Lurigancho district (most populated district of Peru). Canto Grande is a shantytown that was previously uninhabited land, but was taken over by the very poor population of Peru.

We later visited Lord of Hope Catholic Church, led by Fr. Jorge, in Canto Grande. This church also had a three-story office next to it with health services such as a dentist office, a health clinic, a pharmacy and even a health clinic specifically for women. The third floor is for pastoral offices. This was made possible by donations from Germany.

It was a humbling experience to see their contentment and hope even when they live in boxes with no/little electricity or water.

We had toast, bologna, cheese, condensed milk and peach juice for breakfast. I was kind of sad leaving our host family even though it’s only for a day because they’re so great to us. I feel like we are a family already after nine days!

It’s another foggy, cloudy day in Lima, but it’s Flag Day here! This day honors those who were lost in battle and celebrates the Peruvians’ allegiance to the flag.

Hillary Clinton is here for the 40th anniversary of the General Assembly of the American States. I really wish we could see her!

I tried to stay away from the “typical sorority look” and pack lightly during my stay in Peru, but I ran out of clean jeans and blouses; therefore, I am forced to wear the only clean clothes I have: leggings, tie-dye Tri Delta t-shirt, North Face jacket and North Face backpack. I’m ultimate sorority tourist on this campus today. 😀

I even hung my clothes over Proomie’s unused top bunk (she sleeps on the bottom) for clothes to dry since the roof is full of clothes, but they did not dry in time. Proomie has a nice fort though!

We talked about the poor population of Peru and Dr. Kenney’s experiences while living here for eight years. It’s astonishing how these poor Peruvians live with so little. I applaud Dr. Kenney for his experiences and dedication to the people of Peru. His family lived in Canto Grande, and they had to deal with contamination and sanitary problems. His children could not crawl because of the dirt floors, and he and his wife handwashed all their diapers. He expressed to us his happiness when he saw his children run through grass when they moved to the United States. I love hearing his stories because they are his own experiences, and they are inspiring!

We ate avocado salad with corn, peas and carrots; Peruvian roast with white rice; rolls and rice pudding and drank mango juice for lunch at the school cafeteria. I really enjoy the school food.

I saw a dozen Asian students eating the rolls on a fork while in line to get food–SO ASIAN…even in Latin America! Haha

We went to Yancana Huasy, a school built by a priest in the 1980s for disabled children with services at a low cost. Yancana Huasy also provides job training and work opportunities for disabled adults. This was also the perfect place to buy souvenirs because the money goes to fund school and programs. I bought six greeting cards, two coin purse key chains, a stone egg, a billfold and four bracelets for 68 soles (Peru’s currency, which currently equals about 2.82 soles for $1). I’m excited to give these souvenirs to friends and family and tell them about how their gift makes a difference. I enjoyed seeing God’s work through Peruvians helping the poor.

We later visited Lord of Hope Catholic Church, led by Fr. Jorge, in Canto Grande, a very poor part of San Juan de Lurigancho district (most populated district of Peru). Canto Grande is a shantytown that was previously uninhabited land, but was taken over by the very poor population of Peru. This is a beautiful church although it is in Canto Grande. This church also had a three-story office next to it with health services such as a dentist office, a health clinic, a pharmacy and even a health clinic specifically for women. The third floor is for pastoral offices. This was made possible by donations from Germany. I am overjoyed to learn that other countries and the Church are doing their part to help the poor of Peru. It was a humbling experience to see their contentment and hope even when they live in boxes with no/little electricity or water.

We are staying overnight at the Peyton Center, a multipurpose center named after a priest with classrooms, sleeping porches, auditorium and recreational services. This place is able to provide low-cost services to the poor through programs like ours who pay regular prices to help fund it. Although it is in Canto Grande, a poor and infamously dangerously area in Peru, we are safe with water, electricity and security. It’s fun to be with everyone overnight for a change. The ladies are on the second floor. I am staying with Kim, Kristina, Ashley, Whitley, Jenny, Faith, Lorri and Katherine in the second room. The rest of the gals (Carlee, Jane, Courtney, Caroline and Ann) are in the first room, and Ryan, Andy and Dr. Kenney are in a room on the first floor. We played basketball and soccer and visited until dinner (which seemed like forever because I was starving…as usual).

We had vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans and broccoli), mashed potatoes, roasted chicken with onions, bananas, clementines, apple pie and Inca Kola for dinner. The Peyton Center has excellent cooks! Dr. Kenney knew the cook from years ago when he lived here. We even helped with the dishes after dinner!

We were very fortunate to have this wonderful facility because the shanty houses and the very poor population around us had much less than we did.

It’s been another eye-opening day with another reminder of our many blessings.