Honestly, I’m so excited to get to talk to you! It’s still unbelievable for me to accept the fact that I’m a freshman in college. Time flies, huh? Can you believe that you are sitting here reading this blog and mentally preparing yourself for college life? It seems like just yesterday that we were sporting jelly shoes and obsessing over The Backstreet Boys (or was that just me?)

Ok, so maybe you’ve been ready college for a long time. Maybe you’re sick of the high school scene. Or, maybe you are apprehensive about what’s to come. Wherever you are on the spectrum, I think it’s so important to realize that the change that’s about to come is good and extremely exciting. Up until now, you’ve had no greater opportunity to grow emotionally, intellectually and socially. On that note, I want to share the best advice that I was given many, many times by tons of different people before coming to OU: seize your freshman year and your time at OU! Take charge of it. Take every opportunity you’re given and run with it!

Here’s some advice I think will help you to make the best of your freshman year and time at OU:

Be open to meet new people!

Leave your door open on move-in-day so you can meet the people on your hall as they walk by. Say hi to people on the elevator. Introduce yourself to the person sitting next to you in your lecture class. Smile: it can go a long way!  There are so many different types of people here at OU. You’ll grow so much by learning other people’s story and seeing things from a new set of eyes.  Also, remember on those first couple of days, everyone is just as nervous as you are. So break the ice and introduce yourself!  What’ve you got to lose?

Get involved!

No matter what you like to do, I bet you we have a club or organization that is related to it. Sure, you can just go to class, study, party, and hangout with your friends. But, remember: “Seize this year!”  Contribute to something bigger than yourself.  What I love about OU is that the university makes it so easy to get involved.  At the beginning of the fall semester, there is an involvement fair, where all of the organizations on campus will have tables for you to browse around and talk to a representative from each group. Usually, you just put your email on a list and the organization will let you know when meetings are.  I would encourage you to sign up for multiple email lists of organizations that interest you,  go to meetings of those organizations to see what they’re about and if you can do the time commitments, pick out one or two that interest you the most after that, and COMMIT to those with all you have. It’s so important to understand that it’s so much better to be heavily involved in one or two organizations than partially involved in 5 or 6.

Take your education very seriously.

I find myself constantly having to put things into perspective when it comes to academics.  Understanding that you are a student first and everything else second, will really make you realize how important it is to give it your all in every class. If you’re struggling in a class, go to the many different tutoring outlets that are available or to your professor’s office hours. Every professor has a thing called office hours where your professor will be in his or her office and will be available for questions or to address any problems you may be having. Also, unlike high school, you will need to study a lot and well in advance for your exams. I’m sorry to say that studying the day before an exam will not cut it anymore. Don’t half do anything; put all your effort into even the smallest tasks and assignments.  Seize your education! Be the best you can possibly be!

Morgan George
Class of 2016
Midwest City, OK
Psychology major