This year I was able to experience Sooner Saturday from a different point of view. Rather than attending it as a high school senior, I was able to volunteer for it as a current OU student. It surprised me that I still learned plenty of things from it. I was not expecting to see so many prospective students engaging in the same major activities on campus. Sooner Saturday serves as a stepping stone to college life in my opinion because it allows students the chance to feel what it’s like to be on a college campus. In a sense students are able to feel more comfortable with the overall environment on campus after being able to roam all the ins and outs of campus life. Being able to learn about each respective department that students are interested in really helps to get to know your program before coming in as a freshman. Students are able to meet the majority of the faculty and staff in each department and ask any questions or concerns they may have about the program. Of the many students I met, one happened to be interested in the same major as mine. That led us to the discussion of what possibilities OU has to offer students interested in the health field. The HES program on campus offers a variety of field experience and the ability to participate in the actual research going on in the field. Thus, there is always going to be something remembered about Sooner Saturday that helps you in your future time at OU. There are many great aspects about Sooner Saturday that will definitely be vital in your life as a Sooner and they will be able to influence the success you have in your 4 years of undergraduate experience at the University of Oklahoma.

Esme Lopez

Junior

Hometown: Warr Acres, OK

Major: Health and Exercise Science

Minor: Spanish

Working Sooner Saturday was such an enthralling experience. Although it was an all-day event, it felt like just a few hours. For me, the best part of the day was welcoming the thousands of students and their families to campus. I couldn’t have been more excited to show our visitors the beautiful campus that I love.

My favorite moment was when I was helping to check in families and a dad made a funny remark that really embarrassed his son. It just made me smile and look back on the times when my dad and I were visiting college campuses. He would always tell embarrassing stories of me to the “cool” college kids too.

Another aspect of Sooner Saturday that I really loved was the excitement on the student’s faces. One could easily tell that they were beyond ecstatic to see what all OU has to offer them.

I know going to Sooner Saturday when I was a senior helped me solidify my decision to attend OU. The hospitality of the students and faculty won me over. Everyone made sure I had all my questions answered and that I had a great time. With all the help and friendliness I received on that day, I knew I would be welcomed into the Sooner family with open arms.

Jade Owen

Hometown: Oklahoma City

Senior

Major: Multidisciplinary Studies

Minor Psychology