Tuesday September 11th, we had the honor of listening to David Bert give Career Fair and Resume advise for this week’s career fair. The Engineering Career Fair is Thursday September 13th from 12:30-4:30 at Lloyd Nobel Center. David Bert is the Vice President of Drilling at Chesapeake Energy Corporation and had a lot of real world advise to give to our students.
Career Fair Advise:
- Victim vs. Leader – Make yourself a Leader while pursuing a career. Execute your goals rather than procrastinate, concentrate rather than being distracted, and embrace change instead of resisting it.
- Utilize OU Career services help – Use HireSooner and Handshake to apply for jobs and internships.
- Before the career fair make sure to do your research – Know about the companies you are interested in. (Their current research, jobs available, dress code they expect)
- Have a goal! – Know your own career interests and be confident as you talk to employers.
- Keep in mind that you are competing with students from other universities. It takes a lot of effort so do not be discouraged and keep looking.
- Internships are key!!! – Internships are a pipeline to a permanent job. Most companies like to hire students who they have already had as an intern.
- Use unconventional job search engines – apply online, subscribe to industry publications, work with AME and see how they can help you.
- Ask smart questions while showing passion and interest in their company.
- Ultimate goal: Get an Interview! You want your employer to look at it for 8 seconds to get a good idea of what you have to bring to the table.
- Always include an objective or position if possible
- Include accomplishments, not just responsibilities – What differentiates you?
- Be prepaid to explain your summer activities and what you did.
- Maximize related skills with a combination of your GPA and classes.
AME wishes everyone luck for the Career Fair! Y’all will do great!!!!