Hello there! Below is a ridiculously long, but amazingly wonderful (I’m not egotistical at alllll) post about me; jam packed with fun facts and whatever else I decide to include. If, for some unexplainable reason, you don’t feel like reading it all, then you should know that…

• My name is Shelby Marie Heise (Heise rhymes with rice in case you were wondering).
  • I am obsessed with the color grey, Converse, nail polish (especially grey nail polish), Jane Austen, and glow in the dark stars.
  • My lucky number is 3.
  • I have a younger brother who serves as my garbage disposal and as a source of entertainment when I’m too lazy to turn on the TV.
  • Maury and The Jerry Springer Show are my downfall.
  • I’m a freshman and I have no idea what I want to major in.
  • The Descent is my favorite movie of all time, with Spaceballs coming in at a close second.
  • I spell out okay and doughnuts.
  • I have a love affair with asinine, completely superfluous adjectives and increasingly long sentences with a ludicrous amount of commas.
  • Also, I use the word ludicrous.
  • And finally, I love it here at OU. Boomer Sooner!

And now, for those of you who stuck around, time for the more in-depth stuff.

I’m from Kansas, Oklahoma. Confusing, right? Try explaining that to someone in a ridiculously hot, insanely crowded room crammed with a hundred other girls attempting to tell their life story (or at least where they got their shoes at) to some other girl who in return is nodding and forcing cold beverages in your hand despite the fact that no one, and I mean no one, ever EVER drinks anything.  In case you didn’t experience this particular week here at OU, I’m talking about Rush. In reality, Rush, or as it’s more formally known, Recruitment, was only like that for maybe the first house or two and I’m just a terribly melodramatic person (I am). Recruitment was in fact, despite the blazing temperatures and repetitive conversations of the first few days, one of the best decisions of my life. I’ve made so many new friends, plus I found my “niche,” my home away from home. Though that sounds terribly tacky and completely made up, it’s the truth.

Anyways, back to Kansas. Kansas, or as we locals lovingly call it “Little Kansas”, is a relatively small town of roughly 700-ish. I’m not actually from Kansas; in fact I grew up in Springdale, AR, which, as you may or may not know, is the home of Tyson Foods Inc. Respect the chicken. I moved to Little Kansas beginning of my sophomore year and was literally devastated. I bawled for a loooong time (Remember what I said about being melodramatic before?), but eventually I grew to love the little town we had moved to. I happily claim Kansas as my place of origin, despite being an Arkansan and only living here for about four years.

On to classes! I have a very, very light load this semester due to numerous scheduling changes that will come back to haunt me next semester, I’m sure. Currently I have two classes vying for the position of favorite class EVER. First up is my Expo Class, “Violence and The Sacred.” Expo classes for those who don’t know are writing classes that focus on a wide array of topics. Why do I heart this class with a passion? Because not only do I love to write, but I love to argue, too. This class, taught by the wonderful Professor Scafe, deals with understanding the variety of situations in which violence occurs and why it does, but typically focusing on it in religious context. My other possible favorite is General Anthropology, taught by the always interesting Professor Minnis. This class is simply amazing; there are no other words to describe it. Professor Minnis is a wellspring of information, spouting off facts and statistics about seemingly every tribe.

That about covers the basics, hopefully it wasn’t too long of a read. I’ll be updating frequently-ish depending on my schedule. Until then, go OU!

2 Responses to “Introduction time!”

1. Dezmond on September 23rd, 2010 5:30 pm

Hello. I wish to go into the field of nanotechnology, and while no college I have looked at offers this major I absolutely must attend a college with a good engineering and physics program. How is OU looking in that matter?

2. Kerri S. on September 29th, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Dezmond! First, while we do not have a “major,” OU is a national leader in nanotechnology research. For example, OU professor Chuanbin Mao recently received a $500,000 National Science Foundation CAREER grant to further his research on nanotechnology. (http://oudaily.com/news/2010/sep/09/nanotechnology-research-lands-ou-professor-nationa/)This follows a $9 million for nanotechnology research at OU several years ago. (http://oudaily.com/news/2002/mar/05/9-million-given-for-oklahoma-research/)

We have many opportunities here at OU for undergraduates to work with our professors in nanotechnology, and other scientific fields, in cutting-edge labs on our South Research Campus.

OU’s School of Engineering is very strong, and continuing to improve–graduates go on to top companies in their fields. We do have a School of Chemical, Biological, and Materials Engineering, which I think would be good for your interests. (http://www.ou.edu/content/coe/cbme.html) The general Engineering site is ou.edu/coe.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Kerri