Hey future Sooners! My name is Ben Becker and I am a Petroleum Engineering Sophomore here at THE University of Oklahoma. This is my first blog (and I’m sure you’ll see this is the case with most Boomer Bloggers) so I’m going to take a little time to tell you about myself.

I was born in Austin, TX (moved when I was six weeks old) and spent around five and half years in six different houses all over Nebraska, from Lincoln to Omaha to York. I moved to Tulsa when I was about six and I’ve lived there ever since. Being born in Austin and growing up a HUGE Nebraska Cornhusker fan, OU is the last place I saw myself attending college. Three things happened to change that: I decided that despite opportunities out of state to go to school, financially the best decision was to stay here; OSU didn’t have my major; and I visited my brother (now a Political Science/Economics Senior) for a weekend and fell in love with the campus and people.

Now for the current knowledge! I’m taking 16 hours this semester and my classes are Engineering Physics II, Analytical Calculus II, Physical Geology, Freedom in Greece, and Professional Development. I like my classes so far (minus my geology lab, but I’m not a fan of labs anyway) and I have enough to keep me busy and focused. I’m also very involved in my fraternity. OU’s Greek system is one of the best in the nation. The Greek system is a great way to become involved socially and all around campus. I recommend everyone look into it as they begin their time here at OU!

Last spring I had the honor of being selected for Crimson Club. It’s a fantastic opportunity to represent our university at the highest level, but it’s definitely going to be a big time commitment this semester to earn my membership. Between all that and continuing to get involved in CAC, my schedule this semester is looking full. For the first time in my life, I bought a planner so I can keep track of what I have going on day-to-day every week. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I live to be involved, and I truly feel like the more I have in my schedule, the more productive I am with my free time.

It’s been a busy year already and it certainly has already produced some memories. This past weekend was our second home football game of the year, this time against Florida State University. After a lackluster performance against Utah State to open the season (and FSU’s impressive opener against a outclassed Samford team), there was a nervous atmosphere at campus on game day. The offense came out looking unstoppable and didn’t slow down till deep into the second half; and after the defense gave up a touchdown on the Seminoles first drive, they effectively kept FSU’s former-Heisman candidate QB Christian Ponder from doing much of anything. There’s nothing quite like being in Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on game day. From 80,000+ fans chanting BOOMER SOONER across the field, to the opening video (something every OU student should see), to the crowd staying involved till the clock runs out, its an experience that never gets old.

Sorry for the length of the blog this time, I promise it’ll be shorter from here on out! I just wanted to make sure I got everything out there for my first blog. If you read this whole thing, you have my sincere appreciation.

Until next time. Boomer Sooner.