Since the beginning of my freshman year of high school I knew what I wanted to pursue as a career. Nothing sounded better than being an investigative journalist.

The years of high school passed and on that warm day in May I walked across the stage receiving my diploma thinking to myself “Norman, here I come.” In just a few short months I would be a Sooner who would study journalism.

Let’s fast forward to the end of my first semester as a college student. I had a great semester—got the hang of college classes, got involved in some campus organizations and really made OU my new home away from home. With all these new changes, something I never thought would change, did. I no longer wanted to be a journalist! It’s not that I did like journalism, I just happened to fall in love with something else.

The cool thing about OU is you come here with an idea of what you want to do but there are so many degrees you could get that you may have never thought about pursuing. You can come here, try things out, and if you don’t like what you are majoring in you can change.

I’m now starting my second semester as an Interior Design major and I if I loved it anymore than I already do, they would probably lock me up. I never had any art classes in high school nor would I really have considered myself much of an artist, so you can only imagine how worried I was to declare a major that was so drawing-intensive. In just one semester of Interior Design classes I realized that this was something I loved and excelled at.

So, my moral of this story is that you don’t have to come into college knowing what you want to do or study. And if you do know what you want to study, it could change. Maybe even numerous times! That’s totally OK. College is about finding something that one thing you are passionate about and studying it. It’s quite a feeling to finally know that you are in the right major.

Dalaney Flies
Midwest City, OK
Interior Design Sophomore