Joys of grillin’

When old man winter finally leaves, my desires to be outside creep in.  In my case, I get the urge to grill and golf.  Golf is my pastime, my getaway and my refresher.  Grilling, or grillin’, is my passion.  Golf is self-satisfying but grilling satisfies self and others. That’s why I really enjoy cooking for others anytime I can.  I have cooked for two up to 150.  I have cooked for friends, work, church and communities.  I find tremendous satisfaction in serving others and putting smiles on faces.

I want to give you a quick tip on grilling or cooking for your family, friends or yourself.  Regardless of what you eat or how it’s prepared, remember one thing…. cook it to impress.  Wait?… What?  You read that correctly.  People eat with their mouth, nose and eyes so cooking to impress with TASTE, SMELL and SIGHT are what legends are made off.  The goal when I grill is for those that partake to remember that meal, therefore, I put time and effort into what I put on the grill.  When they speak of your ability to make raw flesh into a mouth waterin’, flavor jet firin’, can’t-wait-to-eat-that again moment, you’ve accomplished great status in your culinary circle.  I want it to be a topic of discussion when they sit in a backyard and reminisce the great grillin’ from times past.  Well, that’s what my culinary circle does.

Enjoy the summer and one last thing, you can call me anything you want just don’t call me late for grillin’.

In the future, Garry will post on some of his favorite recipes, techniques, and other grilling musings.

-Garry Armstrong
Assistant Director | Fitness and Recreation