On Saturday, February 6, OU SPE held its first Graduate Student Paper Contest in Sarkeys Energy Center. Twenty students participated from both the master’s and Ph.D. programs. MPGE faculty Deepak Devegowda, Siddarth Misra, Rouzbeh Moghanloo, and Saeed Salehi volunteered their time to serve as judges. The quality of the presentations and the research being done was impressive, and it was hard for the judges to select winners from such a talented group. In the end, though, the winners were as follows:
- Tito Henao, Multistage Triaxial Tests on Wet and Dry Rocks
- Adonis Ichim, Mud Pump Noise Monitoring–Listening to the Pump’s Beat
- Alexander Besov, Petrophysical Characterization of the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale Utilizing Laboratory and Field NMR
- Luchao Jin, Predicting Microemulsion Phase Behavior for Surfactant Flooding
- Felipe Perez, Revisiting the Mechanisms of Clay Damage
- Wei Tian, Hydraulic Fracture Diagnosis using Partitioning Tracer in Shale Gas Reservoir
First place winners were awarded cash prizes of $150 each, $100 for second place, and $50 for third.
Special thanks goes to Tayo Omosebi for organizing the contest on behalf of OU SPE.